Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Twelfth and A/King of Spring

The King Of Spring contest, held annually uptown on 12th St and Ave A is my favorite skateboard competition for a few reasons. For one, it is organized every year by Billy Rohan one of the city's foremost skateboard enthusiasts/activists(Who was once awarded the title of NY1's New Yorker of the Week). I've known Billy since I was thirteen and have always thought of him as one of the city's best skateboarders and eccentric individuals. Ever since I've know Billy he's been skating his heart out and trying to use his connections to get parks built for skateboarders in New York City.

Before Billy moved here from Florida we had 2 skateparks, Riverside Skatepark and Owl's Head Skatepark. Both of these skateparks, are in my opinion, horrible and completely outdated. Riverside Skatepark has been here since the 1980's and is rusty, with nails sticking out in various ramps and obstacles. Owl's Head only has large obstacles built for someone who has been skating for at least a couple years, and has no obstacles built for a beginner skater looking to learn. Ever since Billy moved here in 2000, we have had 6 new skateparks added to our city. Among my favorites are the Tribeca park, Astoria Park, and the Open Roads park on 12th st. and Ave A.

 I like the idea of this contest so much is because they don't allow professional or amateur skateboarders to compete in it. It is all kids who don't get paid to skate for a living, most are willing to put themselves in harm's way just to win enough money for a Metrocard to get back home. In competitions like the Maloof Money Cup or Street League the prize can be as much as a million dollars. Sure this is nice for professional skaters looking to buy new homes and expensive cars, but what about the kids who do this just for fun? I think they deserve a chance to make a little money and get some exposure to the competitive side of skateboarding.

I'm most fond of this competition because it is held where I grew up, Alphabet City. Growing up skateboarding in Alphabet City, I was always often called "Tony Hawk" and "White boy." Now that it has become more acceptable to see skaters of all nationalities, this doesn't happen to often anymore. To see skaters of all different races of colors get together and skate on 12th st and Ave A , the block I grew up on, makes me proud. I highly suggest you all attend this years King of Spring Contest, once the date is announced on the Open Roads Nyc Website, and say whatsup to Billy Rohan, a true skateboard advocate.

No comments:

Post a Comment